Thursday, September 29, 2011

Summer Jade




As some of you know, I was extremely determined to have a VBAC with this baby. My c-section with Kadence was so awful I didnt want to go through it again. I wanted to actually experience giving birth to my child. This was my only chance to do so, so I really wanted to try. But I had a choice to make. Schedual a c-section a little early and have Seth there for the birth and have him home for 11 days to help, or go a little longer praying to go into labor and if I didnt have a c-section anyway with Seth not there and him not home to help. So we decided to schedual the c-section and be able to spend time together before Seth shipped over seas. So even though I really didnt want another c-section, I wanted my husband to be there.

So on September 21st, we got to the hospital at 730am for a 930 surgery. We got admitted right away, got hooked up to the monitors and went over all the paperwork. For the first time in my life the nurse had a hard time putting in my IV. Appartently my veins were to good. As she was putting the needle in my vein would move. So she was digging around and let me tell you...that was not fun. Time went by faster than I thought it would. I was filled with emotion. I dont know exactly what I was feeling. I was excited about finally meeting our baby but not excited about a huge surgery. Thankfully no emergencies came through, so at exactly 930 we walked into the OR.

I was extremely nervous. I didnt know what to expect because I was so drowsy from the pain meds when I had Kadence. I was shaking and couldnt stop. It was so annoying. So I walked into the OR and they started by putting in the spinal. I was not excited about that huge needle. They gave me a shot to numb the spot but it didnt work fast enough. I felt the long needle go into my spine and it made me jump because I wasnt expecting to feel it. It did hurt...ALOT! It only lasted a second but it hurt. Within seconds I started to feel very warm. Luckily that made me stop shaking because I wasnt cold anymore. Literally right after the spinal took affect, the nurses started putting in the catheter. There was no curtain so I sat there watching them put a huge tube somewhere that it should never go. Good thing I was numb! I layed there and watched everything get put together and around 950 the Doctor came in. I was so happy I was alert. With Kadence I dont remember a thing. Seth came in and they started the c-section. As I was laying on the table I made sure I paid attention to everything. Everything that was said and every pull, tug and pressure. After about 15 minutes, I felt the Dr. press really hard on the top of my stomach. I was told that they do that to get the head out, then again to get the body out. So my baby was about to be born. Once they pulled her out I was finally able to breathe! Anyone who has been pregnant knows that when your big it is hard to breathe. So at 10:07am they pulled her out, I started listening waiting for my baby to cry. I could hear them suctioning her mouth and I could hear all of the fluid that was coming out. It took her over a minute to start crying but once she did I was very relieved. They wrapped her up showed her to me, then her and Seth went up to the nursery to do all of the new baby stuff. They sowed me up and took me to recovery.

Seth and I were very clear that once I was in recovery, the baby was to be brought straight to me. The nurse told us that it was a policy that c-section babies were supposed to be in the nursery for 3 hours after birth but that was not ok with us. I needed my baby and I needed to feed her. So while in recovery I felt great. Obviously still numb but my head was clear and I was so excited about meeting my baby. One hour after she was born, Seth brought her to me(3 hours was not an option). I laid her on my chest and without any help from me, she laid down and started nursing. I couldnt believe that she knew how to do that already. Summer was perfect. She was small and just perfect. Its hard for me to think that I had two kids. I had been pregnant twice, given birth twice and had been married long enough to have two kids. Its still weird to me. After about an hour in recovery, the nurses took me up to the postpartum floor.

Once upstairs, we just had to sit back and wait to go home. Kadence came to the hospital once we were all settled. She freaked out at first but calmed down. She wanted to hold her and kiss her but she wanted to do it all by herself. And when we wouldnt let her, she threw a fit. After the first meeting though she was perfect. She has loved her sister so well. All she wants to do is help. Its pretty cute. After 8 hours they got me up and walking. After 12 they took all of the IVs out. That night I was free. While in the hospital, it is never ok with us for a nurse to take our baby away for anything without a parent. So because I was free, whenever they took Summer to the nursery for tests I was able to go to. I got to experience everything. I didnt get to do anything to Kadence so I was happy to be able to do it with Summer. I helped with the first bath and I was able to comfort her through the blood test and check-ups. I was so thrilled to be able to experience all of that. I just like being involved. It was originally our plan to have Kadence stay at the hospital with us but once she made a scene we decided it wouldnt be a good idea. So Seth went home to Kadence at night. We were at the hospital for 3 days and so excited to go home. We went home on September 23rd at 10:00am.

My two c-sections were like night and day. With Kadence: I was drowsy, I was in alot of pain, They wouldnt let me out of bed for 24hours, I bled alot, the nurses werent very good at their jobs, my skin drapped over my incision which made it more painful, I was in bed for almost 2 weeks, it took 4 weeks to feel normal again, my incision was red-puffy and pussy. Basically it was awful. With Summer: I was very alert, I barely had any pain, I was up and walking around within 8 hours, I didnt bled that much, the nurses we amazing! The incision is very thin with no redness or puffiness. Within 3 days I was in barely any pain. I didnt even need the meds anymore. It has been 11 days and I feel like I never had surgery. This experience was night and day compared to Kadence. I thought it was going to be awful again so I dreaded it. But it has been so easy. I feel blessed to have had such an easy recovery. I was considering not having any more kids cause being cut open doesnt sound fun to me but this c-section has been so easy that there will be more for sure.

The best part about having the c-section was that my amazing doctor gave me a mini tummy tuck! He pulled the skin down over my 1st scar which flattened the bottom half of my stomach and left me with 1 scar still. My stomach is already almost flat again because of my doctor. I will go to him every time. He was amazing.

We feel so blessed to have Summer enter our lives. So far she has been a perfect baby. She sleeps all night, doesnt cry and eats very well. She has made life so easy. We love her so much. I still cant believe how much my life has changed in 2 1/2 years. Getting married and having two kids. Our lives have been turned upside down and we seriously couldnt be happier. Seth is already talking about another one...in a few years:)

No comments:

Post a Comment